Tuesday, April 15, 2008

What does the Red Scarlet Mean to the World?

I promise to go into deeper thought soon... but just had to post on something I (and the rest of the blogosphere) seems interested in, Red Digital Cinema. While most have chosen to focus on the 5K Epic and the 4K Red Ray, its the "low" end that's got me.

As a medium sized production shop and avid podcaster... I'd love better image quality. The Red Scarlet and its projected $3,000 price point in in my sites. I have a video interview going up later today... but the short version is this.



NEW 2/3" MYSTERIUM X SENSOR
– This means 2/3 inch chips... cheaper to make... but good enough for most)
1-120 FPS (180FPS BURST) – Beautiful Slow-Mo... here I come
REDCODE RAW AND RGB RECORDING TO DUAL COMPACT FLASH – Cheap storage is a good thing
4.8" LCD 8X T2.8 RED ZOOM LENS – Nothing more to buy on this front... although a few extra accessories are there that can run the bill up.
FULL AUTO OR FULL MANUAL SHOOTING MODES – Yes it really is a consumer camera... the guy I talked to said it is being designed to hook up to consumer grade machines (see below).
HDMI and HD-SDI – For the Pros
FIREWIRE 800 and USB2 – For the iMac (yes... they WANT this)
STILL MODE – So consumers can shoot photos
WI-FI CONTROL – To run the camera from a laptop (like tethered mode with DSLR). I think its just controls and not transfer.

The date... early 2009.... the price 3K for 3K (gotta love that).

The video later today.

Off to shop and speak!

Richard Harrington – www.vidpodcaster.com

No comments: